Friday 3 February 2012

In Print

Ever since I was little I've harboured the thought that it would be rather lovely to write a book one day. As a matter of fact, the things I always said I wanted to be when I grew up were either an author or a sweet shop lady (I loved the idea of measuring out sweets and putting them into small paper bags)! Although the sweet shop thing didn't work out, I suppose by being a freelance writer I'm sort of an author?! Oh, and there's also the small matter of writing this blog...which leads me nicely into something I'd like to share with you...

I've always loved creating journals and in a way this blog has become a bit like a journal - documenting places I visit, treasure-seeking adventures I go on, people I meet and things that inspire me. This made me think...wouldn't it be nice to be able to look back on the blog posts I've written and somehow preserve them offline? So, with this in mind I made my first year of blog posts into a book using Blurb... and was so pleased with the result, that I'm now doing it for every year of blogging I do.

It's really easy. Just download the Blurb software on to your computer and use the templates to create your masterpiece. It takes me a long time to finish each book (mainly because my computer's a little over the hill), but it's fabulous when the finished article arrives.

There are lots of different layout templates to use. Just drag and drop the images on to the page and insert the text (I copy and paste it from my blog into each book).




You don't have to put text on every page... sometimes it's nice just to have pictures.


You can even add a 'blurb' (publishing speak for the bit that tells everyone what the book's about!) on to the back cover, just like a real book you'd buy in a bookshop!

There's something rather exciting about publishing your own book (even if you know that only you and your family will probably ever see it!)

I must just add a word of warning though... creating your own books can become really addictive! You could make a book about your summer holiday, things you've made, or even put together favourite sewing projects or stories for your children. I've got far too many ideas buzzing around my head now... where to start?!

10 comments:

Murgatroyd said...

That looks bloomin' fantastic TTS (hope to get a closer look v.soon!):D

Gill said...

What a great idea!

Purrfect Haven said...

now you have me started... how will I ever find time to cook, work, sleep, eat... indeed breathe! Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

Lyn said...

I would love to =but think it might be a little too expensive....one day maybe?
xxx

Tonia said...

Oh lord, I may never get a proper days work done again. Or, not even my equivalent!

AnniD said...

A really lovely idea Katie. You are so clever. However good computers are there's nothing like a real live book!

lindsay d said...

Oh wow Katie!! They look fantastic!! Please bring to next meeting so that we can all have a flick!!

lindsay d said...

Looks brilliant Katie! Wow! Please bring to next gathering so that we can have a flick!!

Lois Parker said...

these look lovely - and are a great way of having lovely images to browse on a beach/power failure. Your blogs are always so beautiful.

Josie Crafter said...

Hi Katie
Yes, so exciting!
Your books look stunning. I noticed someone else had done a similar thing with their blog. It is such a wonderful way to enjoy the whole of your blog all the time, rather than just the recent posts. And nothing is more lovely than a book we've made ourselves, is it?
Such a great keepsake for your Little Miss Treasure too!
Happy days to you,
x