Sunday 31 January 2010

Happy Wanderings

Mr Treasure and I went for a pootle around the pretty village of Bosbury yesterday. It holds a special place in our hearts as it's where some of Mr Treasure's roots are (so to speak!) I thought I'd share a few snapshots of the village that appealed to me in particular.

It was rather colder than we'd anticipated and I was jolly glad that Mr Treasure had a spare warm coat in the car that I could wrap myself up in! I always think sun on snow looks pretty (although, to be honest, I think we've had enough of the stuff for one year).

I was rather taken with the shapes of the metalwork on the church doors. With all its flowingly curvy lines, it would be a great pattern to try in machine embroidery.

This made me laugh out loud!

I love the lettering and design of this sign. There's something very pleasing to the eye about a script typeface!

Red telephone boxes never fail to make me smile. They're so quintessentially British and I love their bright colour.

When we were last in Devon Mr Treasure and I had cause to make a call from a phone box (on account of being in a pocket with no mobile phone reception) and we got in the most awful pickle. It'd been so long since we'd had to use one, we'd completely lost the knack of how they work. Not only did we have to rummage in our pockets to find enough loose change and then remember to wait for the line to buzz before we could dial the number, we then did that classic thing of talking extra fast when we heard the beeps! I feel very nostalgic when I think of the days when mobile phones weren't commonplace...I always carried 20p in my pocket when I went to school in case I had to call Mum to tell her the train was late (or that I'd forgotten to feed my goldfish)!

1 comment:

Corinne Phillips said...

I know just what you mean about the typefaces you see on buildings. I love The Kings Head at Upton on Severn (not just for the beer you understand!) Inside the extension they have the original outside wall with lovely type on. I also love old post boxes. xx