Monday 31 August 2009

Telling Tales

I thought I'd just share a few last photos from this year's Festival of Quilts. There was so much to see, I could have spent a few days wandering around! I found myself being drawn in particular to the quilts that told a story, recorded people's lives or commented on what's happening in the world today. Here are the ones I liked the most...

I really like the different layers, shapes and textures in this quilt...and the idea that layers of a family's history are being brought together in textiles.

'E.End Hamlets' by The Greenhill Centre. This quilt was inspired by the diverse neighbourhoods of London's East End. The colours were really vibrant...no doubt just like the lives and stories being represented.

This was one of the pieces in Lisbeth Williams's 'Family Archives' collection. It's a stack of quilted bowls, made from materials of significance to Lisbeth's family - her grandmother's dishcloths, handkerchiefs, old photographs, name tapes, letters, postage stamps and newspapers. Apparently, it can be added to by future generations. Such a fabulous idea!

'Eternal Enigma', by Mirjam Pet-Jacobs. I love the textures and shapes. It's more like a work of art than a quilt!

I love the drama that lettering can bring to textiles...this is 'Letter Landscape I' by Jette Clover.

'Financial Crisis - Friendships End with the Money!' by Bea Galler (Germany). It's been created by using block patchwork, embellishments and quilted using package string. It just goes to show that you really can use any medium to record what's going on in the world.

5 comments:

Sam said...

Thats beautiful what a lovely blog post!

sam xx

Pomona said...

Lovely to see these quilts - I am very interested in the idea of needlework and memory, and my thesis was very much concerned with the constructing of identity through needlework. I'm very glad to have discovered your blog!

Pomona x

Unknown said...

Those textures are brilliant...really inspiring stuff...thanks

Bea said...

Thanks for showing my quilt. Your blog is wonderful!

A Bun Can Dance said...

I'm really interested in the family history quilts - the bowls are amazing.
I saw the most stunning embroidery in Bath today - I'll blog about it later, I think you'll love it!
Happy weekend
D x